//
you're reading...
General news, Transfer Centre

Pressley wants seven new faces despite transfer embargo.

PRESSLEY, Steven

Coventry City manager Steven Pressley wants seven new faces in his squad.

Coventry City manager Steven Pressley has revealed he wants to bring in seven new players at the club, despite still being under a transfer embargo.

After being placed into administration in March, City are locked in the embargo until they exit, but Pressley has revealed it has not hampered his plans in regards to making the squad his own for next season.

“The embargo will only change once the club exits administration but to be honest, and I genuinely mean this, it’s not really affecting me at this stage,” said the Sky Blues boss.

“When I say that I mean in terms of working towards getting players in. We are still going about it in the same manner and it will only affect me if a certain player needs a definite answer here and now, because I can’t do that.

“But with the vast majority of my targets that’s not been the case – we’re continuing to work on them and hopefully once we exit administration and come out of the embargo we’ll be in a position where we’ll have a number of players lined up and ready to sign.”

Pressley hopes to have a few in before the start of pre-season training in just two weeks time.

Pressley revealed at the end of the 2012/3013 season he wanted to trim the number of playing staff considerably, and eight players have already left the club, including Richard Wood, Nathan Cameron and Stephen Elliott after their contracts expired, as well as James Bailey and Callum Ball, who have both returned to Derby County following the expiration of their loan spells. Pressley has also told six players, currently still under contract, that they are free to move on as they do not figure in his plans for next season.

“In an ideal world I am looking to bring in, potentially, six or seven players,” he said; “preferably seven because I think that’s what we need.

“There’s nothing concrete at this moment in time but I am looking at a number of players on the list and, similar to other clubs, there isn’t a lot happening just now.

“I am speaking to a lot of agents and I am clear what I want and I’m having good conversations. There’s no hiding the fact that we’re an attractive club.

“Of course there are a number of issues just now and people want to ask questions but I think we can still attract a very good level of player and that’s my responsibility over the course of the next six to eight weeks to make sure we get the right players.

“There’s no rush, and I said this some time ago, I don’t want to rush to sign players because I want to ensure we get the right players and I am working hard and believe I can do that.”

When asked by the Coventry Telegraph whether he can get players in for the start of pre-season on June 28, he said: “I think in an ideal scenario everyone would like that but often that’s not the case. If you look at the biggest of clubs they don’t always get their players in by the time they return.

“Whether we were in a transfer embargo or not, in an ideal world everyone would love to come back to a complete squad but the reality is that doesn’t often happen in football.

“For me the most important thing is yes, get the players in as soon as we can but also make sure we get the right players in. And sometimes you have to wait that little bit longer to get those players.

“I genuinely don’t think that the current situation has affected my policy of trying to recruit players in a significant manner at this moment in time.

“We might have a situation where we have an agreement with certain individuals and they join us and train with us until we are in a situation to sign them permanently; that we have agreements and players are happy to come and train over the period until we exit embargo. It’s not the ideal situation but it hasn’t hindered any of my work so far.”

 

Advertisements

About RNTomlinson

Part-time blogger. Full-time entertainer. Can be found on RNTomlinson.com & ccfctv.co.uk.

Discussion

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Pingback: Pressley axes eight players. | ccfctv - June 27, 2013

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: