you're reading...
Coventry United, General news

Coventry United Football Club formed.

IMAGE: COVENTRY OBSERVER

IMAGE: COVENTRY OBSERVER

Four businessmen who are Coventry City fans have formed Coventry United Football Club. in protest at Sisu Capital’s running of Coventry City Football Club.

They have however outlined their continued support for Coventry City, but admit that could change if Sisu continue with their plans to take the club out of the city.

Chairman Jason Kay said it was not intended to become a replacement but could if the Sky Blues were moved out of the city.

He told the Coventry Observer: “Are we disgruntled with Coventry City? Yes.

“Will we watch them outside of Coventry? Absolutely not.

“A lot of supporters don’t want to go outside of Coventry and I wanted to do something about it. I thought I’d spend my money on a club within the city.”

Mr Kay, managing director of Electric Wharf-based IT firm Currant Ltd, has sponsored City matches in the past as well as strikers Cody McDonald and Marlon King.

And he said United could eventually be similar to that of AFC Wimbledon, which launched after the original club was moved from London to Milton Keynes.

He has already bought the rights to AFCCoventry.com – in case the club decides to go down that route.

“It wasn’t our objective but the more we talk to people the more they would like it to be.

“I want people to support all teams that play in Coventry, including CCFC.

“I’ll be back to the Ricoh if they get it sorted with ACL and United will become my second team.

“But if they stick to their guns and leave the city, that’s when it becomes an issue.

“So I’d be hesitant to say it could be the next AFC Wimbledon because it all lies with the club.”

Coventry United will play their home games at Westwood Heath Sports Ground in the Midland Combination Division Two which is nine divisions below League One where City currently ply their trade.

Among the players is striker Brian Ndlovu, brother of former star Peter, and management have already set their sights on promotion.

United will play in red shirts with sponsor Graham Plumbers’ Merchant adding a touch of green – meaning they will play in the city’s civic colours – but the club have not ruled out a future switch to the famous Sky Blue.

Advertisements

About RNTomlinson

Part-time blogger. Full-time entertainer. Can be found on RNTomlinson.com & ccfctv.co.uk.

Discussion

12 thoughts on “Coventry United Football Club formed.

1. I will not put another penny in sisu pocket but i will support any team that plays in MY CITY.

Posted by eddie kelly | June 19, 2013, 11:09 pm
  2. I will not support CCFC with money whilst SISSU are at the helm that is for sure. Good luck to CUFC you have got my support as I’m a supporter of Coventry not just CCFC.

Posted by Seamus Kavanagh | June 20, 2013, 11:17 am
  3. wots the crack wiv the red badge..we are SKYBLUES!!!!!!!

Posted by KEV WARD | June 20, 2013, 5:53 pm
    • Red (and green) are the featured colours on the coat of arms for Coventry City council. City also played in these colours in the early 1900s, in between spells of wearing the now famous Sky Blue.

Posted by ccfctv | June 20, 2013, 6:10 pm
  4. A better option would be to start a fan owned club that represents the fans like FC United. This just sounds like the play thing of 4 businessmen.

Posted by Mark | June 20, 2013, 9:09 pm
  5. I can get to the sphinx on foot passing 3 pubs on the way and the same on the way back. so a sober trip to westwood heath an back would feel like last season going to the ricoh.
    I like the use of the civic colours but Rovers or Wanderers or even Exiles would have been better than united, I could not support a team called united, sorry

Posted by eddie rodgers | June 21, 2013, 7:06 am
  6. Get rid of the united in the name & I’m with you

Posted by George Pusb Flynn | June 22, 2013, 4:06 pm
  7. I’m really not sure. Sky blue forever but I will have my doubts if Coventry don’t play in Coventry.

Posted by hairygrim | June 22, 2013, 4:55 pm
  8. I would never follow Cov united

Posted by Dave foster | June 22, 2013, 8:42 pm
  9. I could not follow any team with the name united after the man scum

Posted by Dave foster | June 22, 2013, 8:52 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: 71% would follow Coventry City if Coventry City move. | ccfctv - June 26, 2013

2. Pingback: 71% would follow Coventry United if Coventry City move. | ccfctv - June 26, 2013